Download a copy of the A.C.H.E."Code of Ethics ”: Click Here
The American Council of Hypnotist Examiners (“ACHE”) provides standards and guidance for the practice of hypnotherapy, and regulates the conduct of its members in their practice. All registrants are required to comply with the ACHE Code of Ethics by signing the declaration below:
As a Hypnotherapist holding a Certification from the American Council of Hypnotist Examiners, I commit myself to conduct my professional relationships in accordance with the Code of Ethics and subscribe to the following statements:
1. I regard as my primary obligation the welfare of my client, whether individual or group.
2. I will comply with the requirements of the law in the jurisdiction where I practice, including requirements with regard to dealings with clients in relation to race, religion, age, and gender status.
3. I will offer services only within my scope of practice and boundaries of competence and the recognized knowledge and competences of the profession of hypnotherapy.
4. I will not claim to diagnose, prescribe treatment for, or treat any mental or physical illness unless I possess qualifications additional to hypnotherapy certification, which legally entitle me to do so in the jurisdiction where I practice.
5. I will not use any licensed or restricted title to which I am not legally entitled in the jurisdiction where I practice.
6. I will advise a client whose requirements are outside my boundaries of competence to seek an appropriate alternative service.
7. I will advise any client presenting symptoms of physical illness, including pain, to seek the advice of a medical practitioner if this has not already been obtained.
8. I will not guarantee cures for any condition or make misleading claims or statements as to the outcome of the services I offer.
9. I will make clear to the client, prior to the provision of services, the terms, conditions and charges for my services.
10. I will maintain confidentiality of information obtained during the course of providing my services, within the legal limits of reporting requirements in the jurisdiction where I practice. I will disclose any such limits of confidentiality to my clients prior to providing services. I will ensure that the client’s anonymity and privacy is safeguarded in the publication of any clinical material.
11. I will obtain the written consent of a parent or guardian before providing services to a minor.
12. I will not engage in intimate social contact with a client until a period of at least two years from the final session with that client.
13. I will undertake continuing professional development and education in accordance with the requirements of ACHE as updated from time to time.
14. I accept responsibility to help protect the community against unethical practice by any individuals engaged in providing hypnotherapy services e.g. by reporting professional misconduct to the proper bodies or authorities.
15. I treat with respect the findings, views and actions of professional colleagues and use appropriate channels to express my opinions on these matters.
16. I will conduct myself in a manner consistent with upholding the good reputation of the profession of hypnotherapy.
17. I will distinguish clearly in public between my statements and actions as an individual and as a representative of an organization.
I understand that the maintenance of high ethical standards by ACHE is an important support to the professional standing of all Hypnotherapists. I agree to conduct my practice and all professional interactions in strict accordance with ACHE rules and regulations promulgated now or in the future. By accepting my Certification, I consent to the authority and jurisdiction of ACHE to promulgate such rules and regulations, as it may from time to time deem necessary and to take such action, including legal, as it deems necessary to enforce them.
If I am charged with an alleged ethics violation, I understand that an investigation may be conducted upon receipt of a written complaint signed and dated by the person alleging the wrong committed and be subject to the ACHE Complaints and Disciplinary Procedures Policy. I understand that my Certification could be suspended for a specific period of time or revoked if the complaint is upheld. In any case, I agree to hold ACHE harmless for any actions it may take to guard against unethical practices or to enforce the rules and regulations.
Name (please print clearly):_____________________________________
PLEASE SIGN AND RETURN WITH YOUR APPLICATION
Thank you for your compliance,
Dr. John Butler
3435 Camino del Rio S. Ste. 316
San Diego, CA 92108